The ideas presented this week will help me in my future while
doing research and writing papers because it has shown me all aspects of the
idea of plagiarism and will help to be aware of ways of citing research in
order to keep my academic integrity and stay away from plagiarism. This class
has taught me a lot about citing ideas found in sources used for researching my
topic.
Once I am working in my chosen career as an educator, it
will prove important to know the rules of plagiarism because I will need to
keep my students from making the same mistakes made by many students. It is
important to teach them academic integrity and the importance of submitting their
own ideas and research. It will also be helpful for me to know ways of finding
what has been plagiarized as well. I am going to need to be able to hold my
students accountable.
There are things about plagiarism and academic integrity I learned
this week that I may have never thought of before this week’s readings and tutorial.
For example, I wasn’t aware that using a
report done for a class previously was not able to be used again unless agreed
upon by both instructors beforehand. I had always just assumed that if the
subject was the same, as long as you changed the paper around a bit to meet the
requirements of the new class, it would be okay. I am glad to learn now that it
is not okay so I won’t make that mistake in the future.
This class has been very useful and I have been learning a lot
of new research methods as well as ways to use the different databases
available to us. I have also learned ways to cite work, create annotations, and
find good research information. All information I will take with me to my next
classes and into my life as an educator.

Hi Melissa. I agree that access to the internet may have made it easier to find information, but the quality of the information is so much harder to retrieve thus leading to academic integrity. I, too, did not realize that using a paper from another class was considered unacceptable. There have been so many of my friends from other institutions that have done this. They took the same class and turned in the same paper. Does that even count? Anyways, I'm glad that this week has inspired you to become more aware of plagiarism as it has to me. Good luck next week!
ReplyDeleteHello Melissa I can agree with you that plagiarism is something that we have learned very early on in our education. It is also very important to cite correctly when using other peoples thoughts, because it is important to give the appropriate credit to those that have put in work. Academic integrity is something that we will carry on through our professional careers so I agree with you that we must practice good academic integrity.
ReplyDelete