Hello to all, and welcome to my blog. My name is Melissa
Andersen and I am from Monterey California, where I was born and raised. I am
currently attending Brandman University as a freshman for only my second term. I am majoring Liberal Studies with an emphasis
in Multiple Subject Teaching with hopes to obtain both my multiple subject and
single subject teaching credentials. Becoming a teacher has always been a dream
of mine and I am finally taking the steps towards obtaining my goal. Ultimately
I would like to become a high school history teacher and teach in the town where
I went to high school. I strive to make a difference in the lives of kids like
some of my teachers did for me.
When it comes to making a decision on what aspect of being a
teacher I would like to research further, I believe the best aspect for me to
research is the process of actually becoming a teacher and what it takes to make
it in the education world. I feel there are many areas that I need improvement
on in order to become a better researcher. One of my weaknesses is the ability
to locate and decipher what is actual fact based information. I would like to
learn to use available resources in order to research properly. I find that I have
become dependent solely on information I find on the web, rather than doing
research in books or libraries. I feel
if I was to become better at locating information I will be able to become a
better researcher.
Thanks for taking the time to read my first blog post. I look forward to learning more with everyone in this course and becoming a better student as well as a better individual in life and in my career.
I have also had an interest of being a teacher since I was young but then as I got older I realized the average pay of a teacher and was not happy. Plus I have had this niche for investments. Especially in commercial rel-estate. So that had led me to the decision to be a Financial Adviser or and Investment Banker. My original topic is similar however. It was just simply what I need to do and the steps necessary to become a financial adviser. Now doing this weeks assignment I have realized that my topic was way to broad and had to narrow it down.
ReplyDeleteScott Griggs
Hi Scott,
DeleteThanks for the response! I feel the same way about the salary of a teacher however my heart has outweighed the financials. I also toyed with and explored the option of a career in law due to the fact that I would make a lot more money, however my heart is in teaching and the low pay will be worth the love I have for children.
I found the same problem with my research topic being far too broad. I have since changed my topic to bullying in schools. I find it will be just as useful knowledge and a much better topic to research.
Thanks for the feedback
-Mel
It is by coincidence that we both have the dream of becoming a teacher. From the time I was a child I have always wanted to become a teacher, and now I am finally going back to school to take the necessary steps to complete my goal. Just like you, I too, want to obtain my multiple subject credentials as well as a single subject credential but in Spanish. My ultimate goal is to teach at the high school level. I believe that because my first language is Spanish, I can make a positive impact in the student's learning.
ReplyDeleteI understand completely your need for improvement in becoming a better researcher. I feel the same way when I am searching for information over the internet, it is often difficult to decipher what is "legitimate" and what is not.
It is nice that you want to teach in the same town in which you attended high school. I am certain it will feel just like home.
Hi Monica,
DeleteThanks for the post. It is great that we share the same goals in life. It is wonderful to meet others that feel as strongly as I do about impacting lives. Teaching Spanish would be a wonderful career... I would like to learn Spanish myself! Something about teaching at the high school level is very appealing to me. I feel this is the age that kids need the most guidance!
Great to hear from you,
-Mel
Hi Melissa
ReplyDeleteI agree that your first topic of choice was very broad. In trying to be a better teacher I feel your responses from research would be very opinionated. In changing your topic to "homophobic bullying" I think the research would give more specific data in studies and not be opinionated.
Your research on the topic of bullying is slightly associated with my topic of the success of Spanish speaking students. Our goal is to assist students in overcoming both bullying and the fear of learning a new language. We both wish to see our students succeed.
Do you feel Melissa, that your research has given you a better understanding of your topic of choice? As we move forward in our assignments It would be interesting to know more about the effects of homophobic bullying.
Monica Guiza