This week I learned how to use the articles portion of the
Leatherby Libraries. I found the tutorial on “Finding Articles using the
Library’s database” very useful in discovering new ways of researching journals
and articles. It was helpful that the search gave you the ability to narrow
your search to scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals as well as narrowing your
search by date. I found it frustrating how difficult and time consuming it was having to
read and review several articles, only to find out they would not work for my
specific topic. I looked at several articles that were full of great
information, however they did not suffice for the research I am doing. I preferred last week’s book search to this week’s
article search. It was easier to jump ahead in the books to certain chapters to
find the information most useful to my research.
This week I learned about the effects homophobic bullying
has not only on student’s mental health, but also their academics and school
performance. It is un-nerving to think that other students bullying someone can
cause a serious effect on a student’s grades, attendance, testing and
extracurricular activities in school. All these things ultimately affect a student’s
future. If a student does poorly in high school, it can affect their chances to
get into college and obtain an education and a successful career.
I am hoping to learn more about the psychological effects
that homophobic bullying has on students as well as ways to prevent bullying
from happening. I believe it is important for students to learn acceptance at a
young age. This will help to keep the bullying due to differences in gender,
race, religion and sexuality to a minimum. I am hoping the research I do for
this class will help me to gain the knowledge needed to make a difference in
the lives of my future students. I am passionate about touching the lives of my
students and being a positive influence in their lives.
Week 5 blog reply from Damien Wieland
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
Thanks again for your help throughout this course. For those that don’t know, on two occasions Melissa downloaded the pdf files for a few reading assignments and sent them to my personal email. A deployed military member, this reading would not have been possible without Melissa. Thanks you!
As for your blog and research, I love the topic and your passion for it. It seems as though you have gained as much throughout the weeks as I have in regards to the research process. Like you I have been impressed with the Leatherby Library and the ability to narrow down a topic through keyword searches. After reading your blog in its entirety I did a little bit of digging and found perspective with the article I have attached a link to below. Though not scholarly this article focuses on a religious mother asking for help to “straighten” out her son (pun intended). With the reply the author offers perspective I have not thought of myself. The author tells the mother to show her son that homosexuality is a choice. She recommends to the mother that she have a homosexual relationship for a few months to prove to her son that a person is in control of who they fall in love with.
Obviously the article was full of satire, but I couldn’t help thinking how perfect it was for your research. I look forward to reading more from you as the course winds down and again I appreciate the help you selflessly given me. Thanks again and good luck with the rest of the course.
Damien Wieland
http://www.upworthy.com/read-the-witty-suggestion-an-advice-columnist-gives-to-a-homophobic-parent?c=ufb1
Damien,
DeleteThank you so much for the positive feedback. It has been great diving into this research topic. I have found out so much on different forms of bullying that students face and it is truly sad to see how it effects their life as they grow older. This topic in particular is close to my heart because of friends that have endured this same form of horrible bullying. I am eager to learn more about the topic and also ways of preventing it from happening and learning ways to teach acceptance. I have a feeling this topic will follow me through my schooling and into my career path.
And thanks for your kind words. I am happy to help in anyway I can! Feel free to let me know anytime you need any of the reading material. Thank you for what you are doing for our country. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope all is well.
Best,
Melissa Rae Andersen
P.S. Thank you for the link... I will be sure to take a look at it!! :)
I am so glad someone is tackling this topic! Bullying is such a horrible problem with children and it effects them in so many ways. Not many people understand that bullying can effect a child in many ways, not only mentally but physically and emotionally. This will in turn change their personality and will effect their performance in school. Children must be protected from this kind of abuse because it results in many issues for them. I have seen how kids are bullied first hand and it is heartbreaking. I am glad you are doing this research. I do agree that having to look for an article was harder than looking for a book but I thought the options to narrow the search were extremely helpful. I though that the most frustrating part was reading so many articles just to find out they would not work for my paper. Overall I think your research is coming along great and I look forward to seeing how it continues to go.
ReplyDelete-Hilary